History is vast and covers way too many subjects. So we have collected some of the tricky history trivia questions to help beef up your knowledge quotient from yesteryears.
History trivia questions
Click “+” sign to know the answers. These free history related questions and answers are of mixed level and for all.
1. Which King of England was executed in 1649 during the English Civil War?
2. Which world leader, who came to power in 1949, is famous for his “Little Red Book”?
Mao Zedong, or Mao Tse-tung
3. In which country did the Easter Rising take place in 1916?
4. Which seven U.S. states seceded and formed the original Confederacy during the U.S. Civil War?
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Texas
5. Which Romanian leader was executed on Christmas Day, 1989 during the country’s revolution?
6. What name is given to Britain’s policy of avoiding strict enforcement of parliamentary laws on early American colonies?
7. What was the name of the first Space Shuttle to go into space?
Space Shuttle Columbia, on April 12, 1981
8. Which dung beetle was worshipped by the ancient Egyptians?
9. Who was shot outside the Hilton Hotel in Washington on March 30, 1981?
President Ronald Reagan
10. Who was president during the U.S. Civil War?
11. In 1927, who became the first man to fly solo and non-stop across the Atlantic?
12. What was the family name of the Russian rulers from the 17th century until the 1917 revolution?
13. Which was the first bridge to be built across the River Thames in London?
14. Which U.S. president had a home called The Hermitage?
15. Which famous battle took place on Sunday, 18th June, 1815?
The Battle of Waterloo
16. How many U.S. presidents have been assassinated, and who where they?
Four Abraham Lincoln, James A Garfield, William McKinley, John F Kennedy
17. Which mountaineer and his Sherpa became the first men to conquer Mount Everest on May 29, 1953?
Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay
18. How did Alexander the Great solve the puzzle of the Gordian knot?
He cut it with a sword
19. Which Greek historian is known as the “Father of History”?
20. Which Russian astronaut was the first man to conduct a space walk?
21. Octavian defeated Mark Antony in which famous naval battle of 31 B.C.?
The Battle of Actium
22. For what is Matthew Webb famous?
He was the first man to swim the English Channel
23. The Peloponnesian War was fought between Athens and which other ancient Greek state?
24. Which English queen reigned for just nine days?
Lady Jane Grey
25. Which war took place between 1950 and 1953?
The Korean War
26. The Ptolemy dynasty ruled which ancient kingdom?
27. Who became President of the United States after John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963?
Lyndon Baines Johnson
28. In which Libyan city was the American diplomatic compound attacked in September 2012, resulting in the death of the U.S. ambassador J. Christopher Stephens?
29. Which infamous prison was stormed on July 14, 1789?
The Bastille in Paris, during the French Revolution
30. What is the modern name for Van Diemen’s Land?
31. An expedition led by Roald Amundsen became the first to reach what on December 14, 1911?
The geographic South Pole
32. The ancient city of Rome was built on how many hills?
33. Where in Virginia did General Robert E. Lee surrender to the Union army in 1865, triggering the end of the U.S. Civil War?
How many History trivia questions you got correct?
Did you find these historical questions easy? How many of them you are able to answer. Please share your feedback, we will be glad to know.